Monday, October 18, 2010

Day Trip - Western side of Lake Mead

The temperature has cooled down and my pain has subsided a bit so I decided to take a short road trip along the western side a Lake Mead in Southern Nevada. I packed my new Pentax K-x DSLR and my old Olympus OM-1, grabbed a couple of diet Dr. Peppers and took off.

The first picture I took was from S. Lake Mead road looking north towards Las Vegas. It had just rained so all the smog, dust and grime of Las Vegas had been washed away.


View Larger Map

Here are some pictures from the trip.
The first picture are red sandstone formation from The Redstone Dunes


View Larger Map


Water and wind erosion play a huge part in sculpting these soft rocks. All kinds of interesting holes, caverns and pillars form from years of erosion

I ended up in Roger's Springs - a natural artesian well. It was fairly interesting, but just as I was about to leave I spotted this momma turtle and a baby turtle. It was amazing how caring and protective the mother was. Did not know those material traits were in turtles.



View Larger Map




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep everything PG or under or else I'll sick Elvis on you.